The Kirvesmäki court stones are located in the Äystö area of Teuva. The court stones were used in 1500–500 BC. It is believed that the Kirvesmäki court stones are an ancient place of worship, used to ensure good hunting and fishing. The concept of “seita” is common to all Sámi people, and originally it referred to a sacred place of worship and sacrifice. It was believed that such places allowed people to get in touch with some kind of natural power.
Nothing is known for sure about the use of the court stones in later times, but according to oral tradition, the site was used for holding court sessions.
Kohteen tiedot päivitetty: 19.10.2021